ISO 14001 Environmental Management System
Why was ISO 14001 revised?
ISO 14001 Environmental management systems, one of ISO’s most widely used standards, has been revised.
All ISO standards are reviewed every five years to establish if a revision is required in order to keep it current and relevant for the marketplace. ISO 14001:2015 is designed to respond to latest trends and ensure it is compatible with other management system standards.
What are the main changes to the standard?
The key changes relate to:
- Increased prominence of environmental management within the organisations strategic planning processes
- Greater focus on leadership
- Addition of proactive initiatives to protect the environment from harm and degradation such as sustainable resource use and climate change mitigation
- Improving environmental performance added
- Lifecycle thinking when considering environmental aspects – Addition of a communications strategy
- Improved risk management